Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Introducing a New Art Form: Searching the Internet

I don't know about you, but I feel that searching the all knowing, and all powerful internet for solutions to known Microsoft issues is an art form. You find hundreds of blogs with no solutions, or hundreds of blogs that require you to pay for a solution that isn't really a solution you are looking for (like rebuilding the servers), Microsoft technet pages that are not even close to the same problem you are having, and then finally (if you don't give up) you stumble upon the one thing that works...

For example:
There is a server running Windows Server 2000, Exchange 2000, and IIS 5.0. The other day, people were unable to load any information in their mailboxes while using OWA. They would log into their mailboxes and the only thing that would be displayed is "loading" across the screen. Naturally, one would think that this is an IIS issue. Without even searching the internet for IIS issues, I searched what was happening. I followed all the "fixes" Microsoft suggested to no avail. Finally, I found a registry hack to force OWA to work like it was running early versions of IE, because it was normally an issue with IE 5.0 and later. Once the registry entry was made, everything
seemed to be working. The following day, people started complaining that no attachments were opening and they couldn't open any mail at all. Their inboxes were showing up with mail in them, but they were unable to read any and unable to send any messages. What in the world is going on? I was so frustrated I just wanted to give up. Instead of throwing in the towel, I started the search all over again from the beginning. Using the same technique from earlier, searching what the original problem was. Only until I started from scratch did I stumble upon a Microsoft fix that actually worked...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325965/en-us

I don't know why this article did not appear when I was searching the first time, but it just goes to show. If at first you don't succeed... start over completely! :)

No comments: